Whether you are a hospital, manufacturer or waste management business, you can play your part in solving the clinical PVC waste problem and benefit your organisation at the same time.
Solving the clinical PVC waste problem
2018/19 figures (the latest available) show that the NHS produces about 538,600 tonnes of waste. Of this, a substantial proportion is PVC. Estimates suggest that anaesthetic masks, oxygen masks and oxygen tubing alone account for over 2,250 tonnes of PVC that could be collected and made into new products. And PVC is easy to both recognise and recycle. Yet most of this valuable material currently goes into landfill or is incinerated.
It’s a huge environmental concern and a serious waste of resources.
But by working together, we can stop the waste, reduce landfill, and shrink the medical device carbon footprint.
What you can do to help – and why getting involved makes sense for your organisation
Hospitals can participate as RecoMed scheme members.
As a hospital participant, you will:
- Save money on waste disposal costs
- Boost recycling figures
- Cut the hospital’s carbon footprint
The scheme is currently running at full capacity, but please do get in touch. We can then add you to our waiting list for when funding allows us to take on new participants.
Manufacturers can support RecoMed as funding partners, helping grow the scheme and meet demand from hospitals.
Partnership as a manufacturer will:
- Help you meet potential extended producer responsibility regulations
- Provide increased brand exposure with clinicians at the point of use
- Give you a source of environmental good news stories to use for marketing
We’re happy to discuss what we can do to give you the best return for your support.
Waste Management Companies
Waste management companies can support us by providing free or discounted collections, helping us keep costs down.
Partnership as a waste management company will:
- Help you meet environmental goals for moving waste up the hierarchy
- Boost your green credentials
- Give you positive brand exposure plus environmental good news stories to share
It’s easy to bolt on RecoMed collections for hospitals you already work with, and will cost you very little. The extra manpower needed is negligible, and you’ll only have a few pallets at a time to store.